March 11th, 2014
My future daughter-in-law gave me a Voluspa Santiago Huckleberry, 16 oz. Large Glass Jar Candle, for Christmas. It comes in this gorgeous glass container, that I promise you I will be reusing after I finally hit the bottom of this candle. I usually burn it while I’m at my computer working, listening to my Zen music, and the combination of both keeps me quite tranquil!
The Santiago Huckleberry scent that I have contains ripe huckleberry, vanilla, and crushed sugar cane. Not too strong or sweet, I promise. It is part of the Japonica line of fragrances at Voluspa. You can find a list of all scents at voluspa.com. The Voluspa line is carried at Anthropologie and Nordstrom, if you want to go in and sniff them all for your favorite.
March 10th, 2014
Previously, I blogged about the Map My Run app that my friend Debbie uses and loves. Today I’m going to tell you about an app that my friend Sally likes better. They are both free, so feel free to try both of them out and let me know which one you prefer! They are both great for using your smartphone GPS to track your exercise and give you distance, calories burned, and more. What’s most important really is that you are up and doing some sort of physical activity no matter what your age!
From the developer:
Track your runs, walks, bike rides, hikes, and more using the GPS in your iPhone.
Track your fitness activities and have fun doing it
- See detailed stats around your pace, distance, and time.
- Get stats, progress, and coaching through your headphones with built-in audio cues.
- Listen and control your music while you work out.
- Measure your heart rate with many available sensors.
- Take pictures along the way to share and save while you go.
Measure your performance over time
- View a detailed history of your activities to see how you are doing.
- Get notified when you hit new personal bests and milestones.
- Measure your progress against your goals and targets.
- Follow detailed plans to help you achieve specific fitness objectives.
- Turn any activity into a route to do again later.
Share with friends
- Post your activities, achievements and plans to Facebook, Twitter and your friends on RunKeeper.com.
- Let supporters watch LIVE maps of your workouts and races as you go (must subscribe to RunKeeper Elite).
Get a broader picture of your health at RunKeeper.com
- Integrate your activity data with more than 70 other apps and services including MyFitnessPal, Lose It, Fitbit, Withings, Garmin and many more, to get deeper insight into your overall health.
Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
March 7th, 2014
MMMMMMMMMM – doesn’t that look yummy. Today I’m sharing a great recipe from one of my favorite sites for good Texas recipes – mytexastoday.com. Enjoy!
Hello Dolly Bars
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup of Graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 14 oz. can Sweetened Condensed Milk
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Melt butter in an 8 x 8 baking dish or 9 x 13 if doubling recipe.
Remove dish and brush melted butter around sides of dish.
First layer – spread Graham cracker crumbs evenly over melted butter.
Next layer – shredded coconut over graham cracker crumbs.
Next layer – chocolate chips over coconut.
Next layer – chopped nuts over chocolate chips.
Top with condensed milk as final layer.
Bake for 30 minutes.
Remove from oven and let cool COMPLETELY ( at least an hour, preferably longer) before cutting into squares
Best if served cold.
March 6th, 2014
I picked up E.L.F. (Eyes, Lip, Face – love the brand name) lip exfoliator from Target a few months ago. At first I didn’t think I liked it, but figured it was only $3, so I wasn’t too upset. Then I realized it’s not really a lip scrub, which is what I was using it as. And. That. Hurt. My. Lips. I was sort of applying it hard, like a scrub, which I don’t think is the way to use it, because the product itself is hard and course. Once I just started using it as night like a lip balm I started liking it. If I hadn’t gotten good results regardless of how I was applying it originally, I wouldn’t have kept it up. But I did, and realized ,as with most things, less is more. So apply like lip balm, leave it on overnight, and soft kissable lippies!