June 20th, 2014
If you are looking for something quick and easy to make for your own crowd, or take to a crowd, here’s the one.
Picnic-Perfect Tuna-and-Macaroni Salad (allyou.com)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 3 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 12-oz. can tuna in water, drained
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 tsp. cider vinegar
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add macaroni and cook according to package instructions until al dente. Drain, rinse with cold water and drain again.
- While pasta is cooking, combine celery, onion, parsley, carrot and tuna in a large bowl. Add cooled macaroni and toss to combine. In a small bowl, whisk mayonnaise, yogurt and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper and whisk. Pour over pasta and toss until well coated. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Add veggies: Toss in chopped artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes or roasted red peppers.
Trade pastas: You can use any short pasta shape in this recipe.
June 17th, 2014
I’ve recently been assigned the task of scanning all my mom’s photo albums, to put on flash drives and give to my brothers, so we all have a copy of our family photos. That’s fifty years of photos! And my mother loved to “make a memory”. That’s what she always said when taking pictures. It became such a family joke.
So, I’ve blogged before about the great scanner I have. I have scanned my entire set of family photos, and now I’m almost done with my mom’s photographs, and this scanner hasn’t given me so much as a hiccup. The sad thing is, I purchased it for $85, and it’s now $275. I was informed of this huge price difference last Christmas when one of my friend’s husbands wanted to get her one for Christmas. I will give you the same advice I gave him. Look at what else is offered on amazon.com, and as long as the resolution is the same, and the reviews are good, go for it.
Now, back to the subject. I was able to scan all of the photographs my mother kept except for two large photo albums that covered all the adorable baby pictures of my older brother and I. That was back in the day when people actually glued photos to the page. I tried carefully with a butter knife to get it off and could tell I was going to ruin the photo. I love Goo Gone, but knew that would leave a greasy mess, so I researched and found Un-Du Adhesive Remover. It’s just what I was looking for. Acid free, so it won’t ruin the photograph.
You can find it at Michaels, Wal-Mart, or amazon.com.
June 16th, 2014
Okay, so I may have blogged about Appzilla 2 and Appzilla 3 before. But now Appzilla 4 is out there, and if you haven’t purchased one already, you need to. It’ s one of the few apps that I will ever blog about that cost money. Not that I don’t pay for apps. I’ve yet to find one that I thought wasn’t worth the price of a bag of chips, but I just like finding free ones. Call me quirky.
So let me make this short and sweet. 200 apps all under one umbrella, for $1. Seriously.
And my favorite part is when you find an app within this app that you really like; you can save it to your favorites, within the app. You can also search apps by categories, within the app. It’s an app store within an app.
From the developer:
The 4th generation of AppZilla has arrived – with more apps than ever – 200!
Appzilla is THE Swiss Army knife of apps and has been updated for iOS 7. Appzilla 4 now includes iPhone 5/5S screen support and adds over 60 NEW additions to the ever-growing app collection.
Appzilla contains hundreds of apps to make your iPhone more useful and more fun! With millions of users worldwide and a top 10 chart ranking since its launch – Appzilla is the go-to app for almost anyone with an iPhone.
AppZilla is packed with utilities, including dictionary, alarm clock, emoji, weather, a QR Code Generator and more! It has amazing photo and video apps, including blur, frame glow and filter effects. Appzilla also has Music & Audio apps, Entertainment apps, and dozens of Games, Health & Fitness apps, Conversion Tools, Finance apps, and Productivity apps to make your phone more useful.
– Optimized for iPhone 5/iPod 5 Screen
– App Category Views
– Auto-Launch App System
– Dot-Lock Protection for apps
– Mark apps as favorites for quick access
– Hide/Unhide/Reorder apps
– English and Metric Units
– App Search
—— AppZilla™ Apps ——
(NEW!) Blur Camera
(NEW!) Bracket Master
(NEW!) Calling Codes
(NEW!) Cheer Horn
(NEW!) Code Buster
(NEW!) DJ Booth
(NEW!) Emoji Banner
(NEW!) Filter Camera
(NEW!) Fish Flip
(NEW!) Flash Cards
(NEW!) Flip Book
(NEW!) Food Alerts
(NEW!) Frame Camera
(NEW!) Slam Van
(NEW!) Gift List
(NEW!) Glow Camera
(NEW!) Grocery List
(NEW!) Guitar Tuner
(NEW!) Jigsaw Puzzle
(NEW!) King’s Corner
(NEW!) Leet Speak
(NEW!) Margin Calculator
(NEW!) Medicine Alerts
(NEW!) Monster Booth
(NEW!) Mood Tracker
(NEW!) Num Convert
(NEW!) Nut Guide
(NEW!) Mosaic Camera
(NEW!) Packing List
(NEW!) Photo Jot
(NEW!) Product Alerts
(NEW!) Protein Calculator
(NEW!) Pure Tones
(NEW!) QR Generator
(NEW!) SAT Vocabulary
(NEW!) Savings Calculator
(NEW!) Shorten URL
(NEW!) Sketch Camera
(NEW!) Slide Puzzle
(NEW!) Speak It
(NEW!) Squeak Toy
(NEW!) Star Chains
(NEW!) Static Camera
(NEW!) Vehicle Alerts
(NEW!) Timer Tiles
(NEW!) Tire Alerts
(NEW!) Train Lanes
(NEW!) Weather Radio
(NEW!) Yield Calculator
Max Rep Calculator
On This Day
June 13th, 2014
Give me an appetizer and a glass of wine, and I am one happy girl. Here’s a delicious recipe from Hooters!
Hooters Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 4 – 5 large chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 1½ cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 8 ou. pkg. cream cheese, softened (room temp. is best)
- 1 12 oz. jar Hooters Hot Wing Sauce
- 1 cup Ranch dressing
- 1 bag tortilla chips
- celery sticks
- In a saucepan, heat sauce over medium heat and slowly add cream cheese and ranch dressing. Stir thoroughly until well blended.
- Pour sauce into a large bowl, and add shredded chicken along with shredded cheddar cheese. Mix well.
- Add mixture to a serving dish or bowl.
- Serve with celery sticks and tortilla chips.
*Dip can remain heated for up to 4 hours. If mixture begins separate, whisk in hot water or more cream cheese.
Recipe from: Hooters Executive Chef Gregg Brickman