I love fresh produce, and this time of year I make around 2-3 trips a week to my local farmer’s market. Paula Deen has a great salad recipe that gives me something delicious to make with some of that produce.
Paula Deen Summer Vegetable Salad
- 2 cups fresh green beans
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 2” long sticks
- ½ red onion (thinly sliced)
- ½ cup black olives, pits removed
- 1 seedless cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
For the marinade:
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tarragon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Creole mustard
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
Fill a large bowl with ice water and set aside. Place a steaming basket inside a large saucepan with 1” of water and bring to a low boil. Add green beans and carrot sticks to steaming basket. Cover and cook until beans and carrots are cooked through but still have a slight crunch. Remove from steaming basket and immediately immerse in the ice water bath until cool. Remove from water and pat dry.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all marinade ingredients. Add green beans, carrots, onions, black olives, cucumber and cherry tomatoes. Toss to coat. Refrigerate until ready to serve.